Monday, October 20, 2008

Uber Blessed!

Thank you Angela, for reminding me to look on the bright side; indeed they do care!
It seems that I too had my worst teacher day ever this last Friday. It all started out on Thursday evening when I got home from teaching clinical in Everett. Sometime during the course of the evening I realized that I just wasn't feeling right. I tried to push through and return a few phone calls but by the time 9 pm rolled around I decided to call it a night, or at least try to. So I went to bed only to find out that I couldn't sleep.
The last time I saw the clock was at about 2am. I must have fallen asleep because somehow I woke up at 6:25. I know that doesn't sound like a problem but when you think about the fact that my class starts 6am in Everett, it's a big problem. I rolled out of the bed the minute I found out what time it was just to make sure I could. I grabbed my phone only to find that it had been on silent and there were 4 missed calls, all of them from the students.
As I called them back, the first thing I heard was "Professor M, is everything ok?" When I arrived at the clinical site I found them writing SOAP notes. They had already done devotions and prayed. They once again asked if everything was alright and of course I assured them it was. When I told them I was sorry for being late one of them spoke up and said, "Therefore there is now no condemnation..."
We then decided that just because the day had started badly, that didn't mean it had to end badly. Unfortunately only a few minutes later I found myself sitting on a desk in a cold sweat with no blood perfusion to my body while trying to go over a patients medications with a student.
I felt somebody take my wrist looking for a radial pulse which they apparently couldn't find. It took some very eloquent speaking to convince 4 nurses and 8 nursing students that the arrhythmia would eventually go away and I didn't need to go to the ER. I somehow made it to the next room into one of the recliners where I was "attended" by 4 of my students. Honestly all I wanted was for everyone to leave to me alone, but I must admit that their concern was genuine and their intentions sweet.
It wasn't too much later when the dean arrived. He had brought snacks and offered to take me home and round on my students for the rest of the day. After more eloquent speeches and some in depth explanation of the cardiac conduction system complete with diagrams, I managed to convince him to head back to the school and his "deanly" duties.
I was still feeling fairly awful but the students somehow helped me make it to the end of the day. Later that evening when I listened to my voicemail: "Miss M, how is my beloved teacher. I'm just wanting to make sure you're doing ok..."

No comments: