Monday, March 7, 2011

Wear Nice Shoes...

Last week I got a rather disturbing email from the Provost of the university. It said something like this... "Contracts for next year will be send out tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know that you don't have one so that you won't be caught by surprise. I don't know what your conversations have been with the dean, but because he is out of town I just wanted to let you know."
It's a little late in the game not be caught by surprise... Usually if something isn't going well, you have some idea ahead of time. I can't help but be frustrated and a little angry by the lack of communiation. I sent the dean an email, but haven't gotten a response (which, in contrast, doesn't surprise me).
So... Hold that thought and let me move to another subject.
A few weeks ago an email went out at UW about a new clinical nurse educator position for the ICU. I didn't consider it seriously until somebody actually came up and asked if I would apply. So, with mixed feelings, I applied. I talked with the manager about it to get the details and then went home and prayed about it. I asked God to make it clear what I should do.
God's answer was, "Wear nice shoes."
I had applied a for a different position last year just to keep options open, but I wan't too sure about it so I went to the interview and did my best but didn't really go for the gusto. I was wearing mediocre shoes to that interview... (yes, it's a mediphore and perhaps something that you "just had to be there for." )
My interview for this CNE position was on Friday, I wore nice shoes... The manage said she would make a decision this week.
I have a meeting with the Provost in just a few minutes, I'm wearing the same "nice shoes." The few days are going to be big and I hope I get some clear direction. We shall see...

No comments: