Saturday, October 27, 2007

Reconciled (Part 2)

It was Sunday evening and I had spend the last 7 seven hours with my nose in a book reading about oh so exciting things such as research methods and curriculum mapping. I had spent the entire day before that asleep, entire day meaning 20 hours. I was desperate to break the monotony and about to go nuts.
I decided to make social rounds and call friends whom I hadn't spoken with a while. As I went down the list all I got was voicemail. Finally, a few hours later, I got a call back. Katrina! I hadn't spoken to Katrina since she had come home from Sacramento.
Of course my first question to her was when do I get to meet Simon. Simon is the boy responsible for luring her to Sacramento in the first place. He moved to Washington when she came home and I think it's only a matter of time before we'll hear wedding bells.
We chatted for a few minutes about her summer adventures and then I opened my big mouth and said the unthinkable... "Can I visit your church tonight and then I'll get to meet Simon?" Oh dear, what was I thinking? I just volunteered to go to church!
I arrived at the building just a few minutes late and hesitated for a moment at the door before I went inside. I had remembered Lindsey telling me about at somewhat mysterious but harmless one armed man who lives in the church and assumes the position of "greeter" at Sunday services. I knew that he would be there waiting for me on the other side of that door.
"If I don't make eye contact, maybe he can't see me," I thought to myself. But alas as soon as I opened that door, there he was; the one armed man known as Brother George and he was talking to me. I practically ran down the hallway and into the bathroom just before reaching the stairwell. I could hear the one armed man behind me saying "keep going to the end of the hall."
I stood there for a moment, looking at myself in the bathroom mirror; I couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry. After catching my breath, I finally decided to make a go of it and headed down the stairs into the sanctuary. I tried to make my entry as inconspicuous as possible and took a seat next to Katrina. By this time I was in a cold sweat and all I could do was pray that I would make it through the service. As I stood there praying the Lord said this to me: "I told you I would reconcile you to the church, my people. I meant that to include the not only the community of believers at your own congregation, but those around you in other congregations as well and even globally."

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I want to hear more of this story... :) God is amazing, and I'm glad he's brought you this far!

A. Morgenroth said...

Sadly, I've sort of neglected this blog so I didn't even see your comment until today. I will gladly share the rest of the story with you even as it is still unfolding.