Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why I do what I do...

I was talking with some of my teacher friends the other day about the upcoming school year. Somehow the issue of salary came up (I think I was having to explain why I am still going to work so much at the hospital during the school year). It's true, teachers aren't paid nearly enough and it doesn't get better the higher the education you happen to teach! I really had to sit and think for a moment why I'm about to sign this contract or why anybody does for that matter. It's obviously not for the money. Maybe that that's what makes teachers so incredible, they do what they do because they love it (or at least some of the time) and/or God told them to do it.
Somebody once told me that teachers are really some of the only people who get the opportunity to make an impact everyone in the entire the world. I suppose indirectly there is some truth to that.
This morning I had a breakfast with one of my former students. We talked about her first job, her first death, her future hopes of grad. school and becoming an educator... Now I remember, this is why I worked so hard to become a real teacher. So, thank you to all of my teacher friends who prayed for me and encouraged me throughout grad school. I'm excited to join the ranks!
You gotta love 'em!

No comments: